Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Until Next Time" Lunch at Norstrom (Lime Cilantro Salad with Shrimp)

My now retired brown Norstrom was my first credit card. Replaced by a new silver hologram version a while back, it has served me well.

I've spent many hours at that store. I’ve celebrated there (looking for a dress to marry Steve in), I’ve grieved there (shopping with my mother a few days before my father’s funeral) and for the past three years I’ve met girlfriends for lunch at the Nordstrom near my office in the Irvine Spectrum (you can get there and back within a 60 minute lunch-break, plus you can scope out the new arrivals as you dash in and out of the store).

I started lunching at Nordstom with my mother who was a true Nordie aficionado. She often told a story about how when she was in her 20s in Los Angeles she would go to a department store called Hagarty’s. When she walked in the door, she said she felt “changed.” Head held high and with a certain air of confidence that comes with a new pair of shoes, I saw that look on her often at Nordstrom.

I thought that story of hers as I ascended the escalator at the Spectrum Nordstrom yesterday. I was en route to an “until next time” lunch with my dear friend and colleague, Ingrid. Ingrid was the first member of the HB Marketing & Communications team of consultants. We worked together via email and phone and kept my little business humming. Ironically, it took us three years to meet in person, but we talked every day. Mostly about business, but also about life. She is one of my dearest friends. And yes, I started to cry when I saw her.

Tears wiped away and a with vow not to never really say good bye, we covered more topics than should be possible in a 50 minute span. The lunch date was too short. They always are. But I’m so glad we made the time. And I look forward to seeing her next time our paths cross again.

Tonight I recreated my favorite Nordstrom salad, which I had for lunch yesterday. I think I got it pretty close. Give it a try and let me know what you think:

Lime Cilantro Salad with Shrimp

Inspired by Nordstrom Café

Serves 2 (entre size, or 4 starter size)

Salad Ingredients:

  • 10 – 12 medium/large sized shrimp, shelled and deveined (not jumbo or tiger)
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 tsp Emeril’s Essence seasoning
  • 1 ear corn
  • ½ Heart of Romaine lettuce (torn)
  • 2 big handfuls of Spring Salad mix
  • 1 cup diced jicama (1/2 inch dice)
  • 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1 small (Hass variety) avocado or ½ large avocado (Reed variety – tpically found in California Farmers Markets - if you see 'em buy 'em, they are amazing)
  • ½ cup Jack cheese, shredded (divided in half – ¼ cup for the salad and reserve ¼ cup for garnish)
  • Small handful of crushed tortilla chips per serving
  • Lime Cilantro Dressing (recipe follows)

Lime Cilantro Dressing

Shake in a glass jar:

  • Juice of one lime
  • ½ tsp of lime zest
  • 2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
  • 2 Tbs chopped cilantro
  • 1 Tbs fine chopped shallot
  • 3 Tbs walnut oil (or other light colored oil)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • ½ tsp cracked pepper

Method:

Pepare the shrimp

  • Toss the shrimp, olive oil and Emeril’s Essence in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.

Prepare the Corn

  • Fill a medium sized pot with cold water
  • Break the cob of corn in half
  • Put in the water, put heat to high until boiling.
  • When the water boils, put on the lid and turn off the heat.
  • Let sit for 5 minutes
  • As the corn cooks, fill a medium sized bowl with ice water
  • At the end of 5 minutes, remove the corn and place it in the water to cool
  • When cool use a large knife to shave off the kernals. This will be easier because you can balance the cut side of the corn on the cutting board. (I discovered this tonight!)

Grill the shrimp

The trick here is not to over cook them. If you don’t have one of those perforated flat surfaces made for grilling seafood or veggies, you can put them on skewers so they don’t fall thru the grates. Either way, they are done when they are pink. Don’t over do it!

Assemble the salad

  • Toss everything EXCEPT the shrimp, cheese and tortilla chips in a large salad bowl with the salad dressing.
  • Portion onto plates.
  • Top with shrimp
  • Garnish with cheese and crushed chips

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment