|Ready to balance any rich holiday meal, my version|
of Waldorf Salad is heavy on the lemon, and includes
pecans, dried cranberries and raisins. Yummy.
- 4 large apples, peels left on and cut into bite-sized pieces - I like a mix of 1 Red Delicious, 1 Pink Lady and 2 Granny Smith or half and half Red Delicious and Granny Smith
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (If you think your lemon might be a bit on the dry side, pierced a couple times with a sharp knife and microwave it for 20 seconds before juicing)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup of raisins, plumped by submerging in a cup of boiling water for 5 minutes and then well drained
- 1/2 cup pecan halves toasted for a few minutes in a dry pan to bring out their flavor and then roughly chopped.
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lemon zest, 1/2 of the lemon juice and salt until well combined. Set aside
- Put the remaining half of 1/2 of the lemon juice in a large mixing bowl, and drop the apple pieces in as you cut them, tossing as you go.
- Once the apples are all cut, add the mayonnaise mixture, celery, cranberries, drained raisins, and nuts, toss well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving; however this can be made earlier in the day.