|Just before I added the sauce -|
love the colors
|Prepped veg - and yes, those are|
tarragon flowers in the mix...
- 4 chicken legs with thighs attached, skin removed
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Poultry Seasoning - a couple of Tablespoons
- Olive oil to coat bottom of pan (about a Tablespoon)
- 1/2 Valhalla onion (or other sweet onion)
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and left hold
- Enough water to reach the 1/2 way point of the chicken, about 1/2 cup of water (white wine would be great here, too) The important thing is not to add so much liquid that you turn this into a stew rather than a braise.
- 2 cobs of corn, kernels cut off
- 1 spiraled zucchini
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 TBS fresh thyme chopped (you can use about a teaspoon of dried if you don’t have fresh)
- 1/3 cup nonfat half & half (you can use regular half and half as well)
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Heat a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed, lidded pan with olive oil.
- Brown the chicken over a medium high heat, two pieces at a time
- When the second batch is browned, remove the chicken from the pan and dust with the poultry seasoning.
- Add the onion and garlic cloves to the pan and sauté until the onion is just softened
- Now add the chicken back into the pan, pour in the water, heat to a boil, cover with a lid and pop into the oven for 45 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, remove it and the onions and garlic from the pan and cover with foil to keep warm in a heat resistant disk like a glass pie pan.
- Then skim away any fat with a spoon. I also like to lay a paper towel atop the liquid and lift away andy residual fat.
- About 15 minutes before you are ready to serve, crank up the heat to medium high and reduce the liquid to about half.
- While the sauce is reducing, fire up the broiler, uncover chicken, garlic and onions, spoon a bit of the sauce on all surfaces, and place under the broiler until they are crispy and golden brown. Keep an eye on this throughout to avoid burning.
- Heat the dutch oven again and add in about a teaspoon of olive oil. Add in all of the veggies and half of the tarragon. Add a pinch of salt and about 6 grinds of pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes or until everything is just getting soft.
- Now add in the half and half and remainder of the tarragon and the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.