|Two weeks ago he would have flown|
away; today he enjoyed his
breakfast just a few feet from me
What a great excuse for dining al fresco!
I took advantage of a lovely morning today by enjoying my breakfast on the deck. Me, a cup of coffee, a nice egg sandwich to get the day going.
Slowly but surely the birds also arrived to enjoy their first meal of the day. My favorite -- the strong and sturdy woodpecker with the bright red bonnet.
He keeps an eye out for predators as he pecks away at the special suet that Steve puts out for woodpeckers. But he also is becoming more familiar with us; and today for the first time did not fly away when I moved to take his picture. A nice way to start the day.
|This one hits the spot|
But boy, oh boy, the calories can add up. A better option is to make this yummy sandwich that takes packs a serious flavor punch, without the fat and calories. It also takes just a few minutes to make and travels well for work day mornings, or a breakfast picnic at the beach.
Eggs Florentine Breakfast Sandwich
Serves One (6 WW Pts)
- 1 farm fresh (if you can get them) egg
- 1 Tbs diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Lite Swiss Cheese
- 1 toasted Sandwich Thin (whole wheat with flax seeds is my personal favorite)
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a small nonstick pan and coat lightly with cooking spray
- Drop in the onions, salt and pepper and saute until translucent.
- Add the spinach and saute until it just begins to become soft
- Crack the egg over this mixture. As it begins to set, break the yoke and stir to combine. Cook, stirring lightly and form into a little patty about the size of the sandwich thin.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the sandwich thin and spread with the Laughing Cow cheese wedge on both pieces.
- When the egg is set to your liking, slide the patty onto the bottom half of the sandwich thin, top with the other.
- Enjoy immediately, or wrap tightly in foil if you are transporting. It will stay warm for about 30 minutes.