What a fun day I had yesterday!
|Tucked off the beaten path on Franklin|
Street; Caffe Driad is a perfect
spot to meet friends on Saturday
- 1 cup Aborio rice
- ½ small onion, diced
- Tbs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs butter, divided in half
- 1/3 cup fresh peas (or you could use thawed frozen ones)
- ¼ cup sugar snap peas, cut on the diagonal into ¾ inch pieces; plus about a tablespoon or so more for garnish
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, plus a bit more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Over medium heat in a large sauce pan melt 1 T of the butter and all of the olive oil
- Sauté onion until translucent
- Add rice and stir until coated
- Add wine and stir until absorbed
- Add hot chicken stock mixture in ½ cup increments, stirring until absorbed and then adding more; it is ready to add more when a spoon dragged thru the mixture creates a “canyon.”
- After about 10 minutes add both types of peas and continue adding broth as above
- After about 10 more minutes the rice will be tender, but still firm or “al dente.” (taste a few grains to check) At this point, add the rest of the stock and stir until it has almost absorbed it all.
- Now, add the remaining Tbs of butter, and the parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with additional black pepper, parmesan cheese and some chopped up sugar snap peas for crunch.