Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Social Networking and a Walk on the Beach (Jeff’s SoCal Egg Soufflé Casserole)

If you are reading this blog you know all about social networking. But this past Saturday, I was witness to what I feel is the its true meaning.

A few months ago I was looking for a way to get some exercise on Saturday mornings when Steve was working at Black Gold Golf Course. So I started a walking group on Facebook, and invited a few of my OC Friends to join.

Next I created an event – a walk on the beach at Crystal Cove. A very diverse group joined me for that walk, including a high school and college pal, friends from work, former colleagues from agencies I worked with in the 80s and 90s, and a couple of former clients. We set off walking and by the end of our trek up and down the beach, everyone became fast friends and four or five miles later we enjoyed post-walk beverages at Starbucks.

Subsequent walks have taken us to Balboa Island, Newport Back Bay, and this week the beautiful beach at Salt Creek in Dana Point. The Facebook “No Name OC Walking Group” has grown to 23 members and anywhere from 6 – 13 folks have shown up for any given walk. Anyone can invite friends. Anyone can organize a walking event.

Friendships and business connections have been made on these walks that bring together people whose paths might not have otherwise crossed. In my book, the group represents social networking at its fines. From the computer screen to face-to-face.

Last week’s walk was more than likely my last with the group. Afterwards, walk organizer Jeff Gillis surprised us with a simple and lovely brunch at his home in Laguna.

Orange juice freshly squeezed picked from Jeff’s backyard tree turned into a refreshing and tasty mimosa that we enjoyed as he warmed a yummy egg soufflé casserole that reminded me of how important Ortega chilies are to our local cuisine.

Since before I can remember, a can Ortega chilies has been a kitchen staple. Perfect on a tuna melt, wonderful in a quick dip or in chicken enchiladas, and even better in scrambled – or now souffléd – eggs.

This one is a keeper. Thanks, Jeff for sharing this recipe with me and most of all for your friendship.

Ingredients:

  • 10 Eggs
  • 1 pint cottage cheese (nonfat is OK)
  • 1 pound shredded cheese (sharp cheddar is best)
  • 1 stick melted butter
  • 2 cans 4 oz. chilies (Jeff says to choose your spice level, so theoretically you could do jalapeño, but I say Ortega chili is the only way to go)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Method

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Mix all wet ingredients.
  • Fold in dry ingredients until well incorporate (don't over-mix).
  • Put mixture in 9x13 inch pan (no need to grease pan, but you can spray with oil if you like).
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes on middle rack. Let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.

Bon appétit!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful new blog, Holly. Your write-ups are so appetizing that it makes me want to dust off my pots and pans! Thank you for posting Jeff's recipe; I know that when I make this dish it will recall the most perfect morning.

    ReplyDelete