Wednesday, August 26, 2009

9:36 (Tomato Corn Chutney)

BOOM….. BOOM …..boom boom boom boom… Boom……boom boom

With the exception of one summer that I spent in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, just about every summer night of my life has been punctuated by the Disneyland fireworks.

These days Disneyland's fireworks fill the skies on weekends during the rest of the year, too. But I equate them with summer. Depending on where you are located you might see them; but most often you hear them in the distance. And from whatever reason I always glance at the clock and announce, “9:36,” which more often than not is the time on the clock when the sound reaches us.

It is strangely reassuring.

Last night we watched the Disneyland fireworks light up the sky as we whizzed along the 57 freeway past a packed Anaheim Stadium and equally full Honda Center parking lot. I felt a tad sad, knowing that soon this would be a summer memory. But was also curious about what will fill the void left in my future summer nights.

I’m looking forward to summer evenings watching fireflies, which I saw for the first time last year (until then my firefly experience had been limited to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, again a Disneyland reference). I’m sure they will torment our little Scottie dog who has a thing for bright lights and shadows. I can already hear my niece Katie squealing with delight.

Tonight’s recipe is one that often makes an appearance of a summer night as well. A rich tomato corn chutney that celebrates some of the best flavors that summer has to offer. I’m looking forward to making it with Katie and enjoying it after a night of chasing fireflies.

Tomato Corn Chutney

  • 1 medium red onion - diced
  • 1 basket cherry or grape tomatoes - halved
  • 2 ears corn, kernels removed (or 1/2 bag frozen corn thawed)
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 sprigs thyme (or 1 tsp dry)
  • 1 clove garlic, slivered
  • 1 T red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste

Method

  • In large sauté pan, heat the oil, cook the onions over medium heat until just beyond the translucent stage
  • Add the thyme, cherry tomatoes and the garlic – cook over medium low heat until caramelized. This step requires patience.
  • Add in the corn and saute until heated through.
  • Lower the heat and stir in vinegar, combine well.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste

Serve hot, at room temperature as a side dish or cold as condiment for grilled chicken

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. OOh yum. Could you use canned corn, or is frozen the only alternative to fresh that you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sound of the Disneyland fireworks mean it's time to come home if you're a kid or only 2 1/2 more hours 'til Disneyland closes if you're an employee. When I was younger and living in Anaheim, I would laugh when it would startle my dinner guests because it was so LOUD. Where I live currently, the sound of the fireworks competes with the coyotes howling across the street.
    And now, the sound of Disneyland's fireworks will remind me of Holly.
    Enjoy your new home Holly, but California will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. to anonymous - I often use frozen corn for this. The roasted frozen corn from Trader Joe's is GREAT. I'd imagine that canned corn would be good as well.

    ReplyDelete