Saturday, August 22, 2009

Savoring Saturday Mornings (Sautéed Eggs with Shallots)

Today is a big day – our buyers will do their final walk through, and I am finally going to start packing. So far Steve has carried the brunt of this chore and has made significant progress. Now it is time for me to roll up my sleeves and do my part.

But first… Saturday morning.

I’ve always loved Saturdays. Hopefully no office work to be done. A day for chores and errands. Maybe a walk or other exercise with friends. And Saturday mornings. Truly the best morning of the week.

I’m up and out early Monday through Friday. Saturdays take a much leisurely pace. Coffee with Steve on that patio or in the living room, rather than in a go-cup on the road. And an egg with toast for breakfast, rather than my normal yogurt with fruit and Uncle Sam or Grape-nuts sprinkled on top (usually eaten at my desk, often with the mute button on so the other people on the my first conference call don’t hear me crunching).

The egg truly lives up to its “perfect food” status. Omelets, poached, scrambled, fried. You really can’t mess them up.

This morning I made my take on the fried egg -- sautéed with shallots and olive oil served with hearty Best Bread from Orowheat. It will serve us well as we pack up the bedrooms and home office.

Here’s how to do it.

Sautéed (because us Southern Californians can’t say Fried) Eggs with Shallots

Serves two

Ingredients

  • 4 large or extra large eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (coat the bottom of the pan, plus a smidge)
  • 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
  • Pinch Salt
  • Grind of black pepper to taste
  • 2 pieces toast made with hearty whole grain bread (we like Orowheat’s Best Bread)

Method:

  • Heat a skillet large enough for cooking four eggs
  • Coat the bottom of the pan with the olive oil and then add a bit more
  • Add the shallots, salt and pepper to the pan
  • Sauté the shallots until soft
  • Crack the eggs into the pan
  • Cover with a lid or another pan
  • Cook over medium heat until most of the whites are set
  • Flip eggs and continue cooking for a minute or so to slightly set the yolk
  • Slide the eggs onto the toast.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment