Sunday, June 29, 2014

I Love Summer! (Summer Farmers Market Salad with Walnut Honey Mustard Vinaigrette) 2 WW ppts

I never thought I'd acclimate, but I'm here to proclaim that I,  Holly Billings Barnett, Southern California Native - where the heat is a dry heat and the summer nights are cool - have grown to appreciate a sultry summer day in the South.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not abandoning my SoCal roots. But there is something special about stepping outdoors, feeling your body and soul slow down, and hearing those cicadas in the trees scream out that summer is here!

Summer in North Carolina also means amazing produce.  Yesterday I scored a garden fresh cucumber from a friend, and then hit the Farmers Market for tomatoes, corn, basil and sweet sweet vadelia  onions.   Together with a bit of watermelon and a yummy vinaigrette made with one of my secret ingredients, walnut oil, this baby is a winner.

I can't wait to get back from the pool this afternoon and dig into a big ol' helping served along side grilled chicken.  Yeah Summer!

Here's how I did it:

Prep and combine the salad ingredients:

Cut the corn off of the cob:

  • On a paper towel or tea towl:  Hold the corn cob horizontally, run a sharp knife along the cob to shave off the kernals.  Pull the sides up on the side of the towel and pour into the bowl.  


Cut into about 1 inch dice:

  • 1 cup of peeled cucumber
  • 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1 cup watermelon


Cut into very very small dice

  • about 2 Tbs of valdalia onion (Maui onion or any other sweet onion from your region will do)

Chop finely

  • 3 or four fresh basil leaves

Mix it all together gently, add a pinch of Kosher salt, cover and stash in the 'fridge.

Make the vinaigrette
Put the following in a jar and shake shake shake - then taste and adjust.  Maybe a little more honey, maybe a tad more salt.... make it your own.

  • 2 or 3 TBS grated valdalia onion
  • 1 TBS grainy mustard
  • 1 TBS honey
  • 1/4 cup walnut oil (keep this in the fridge between uses to keep fresh)
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • Pinch of Kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper


To serve - toss the salad with the dressing and dig in.

Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment