Sunday, August 15, 2010

End of vacation dinner (Will’s lemon scented pasta)

A note from Holly:
(I was going to post the recipe for my lemon chicken – and then I realized that I’ve already posted it.  Brain Cramp. What I will share with you is the pasta that we served with the lemon chicken I made last night.  More of a method than a recipe, this one so simple yet so delicious.  And the really cool part – Will came up with it!  I guess he got the cooking gene!)

It seems like we just picked up Will at the airport and now his summer break is over.  Tomorrow at o'dark-thirty he and Steve will leave for a cross-country drive back to school. They’ve got a great itinerary planned – and will hit baseball games in Chicago and Minneapolis before fishing their way thru North Dakota and finally dropping into the Big Sky State. 

As moms are wont to do, I cooked up one of Will’s favorite dishes last night – lemon chicken.  And this time, he taught me a trick – scenting the pasta itself with lemon by putting both the juice and the juiced lemon halves into the salted pasta water right before you add the pasta.  Wow, was it good.

Lemon Scented Pasta

Ingredients
  • Large pot of boiling water
  • 2 – 3 Tbs of Kosher Salt
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • The actual lemon that was just juiced
  • 4 servings of angle hair pasta (or any shaped pasta of your choice)


Method
  • Boil the water in a very large pot
  • Add the salt, lemon juice and juiced lemon halves
  • Add the pasta and cook according to package directions
  • Drain the pasta and return to the pot you cooked it in.
  • If you are serving with a dish that has a sauce, pour some of the sauce on the pasta before serving. 
  • Or you can simply toss gently with
    • 1 Tbs melted butter
    • 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    • Some chopped flat leaf parsley


To serve
  • This is great with lemon pasta, but would be equally good with shrimp, fish, or even sautéed zucchini or spring peas.
  • Dust with Parmesan cheese

Dig in and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hey there, ForkInTheRoad! Thanks for following me over at www.bravenewkitchen.blogspot.com ! I've never tried scenting pasta, but this sounds great! Your cream of tomato-basil soup looks divine, too. I will definitely check in often!

    ReplyDelete