Thursday, February 25, 2010

Could Spring be Around the Corner? (Sheryl & Madison’s Bleu Cheese Coleslaw)

(Note - I wrote this while flying to a conference last Sunday... BEFORE the snow flurries that kept us chilly today...)

What a great day last Saturday was.  The WRAL weather team was true to their word and we enjoyed a sunny day with temps in the 60s and a light breeze to remind us that Spring is just a few weeks away. However, it was not just the balmy (by this winter's standards) temps that spelled late winter for Steve and me.  It was th ping of aluminum bats as we walked up to Boshamer Stadium  for our first Tar Heel baseball game.

While we kept catching ourselves comparing the experience to our many years at Cal State Fullerton Titan's Goodwin Field (which made us miss our Diamond Club Friends even more), we left knowing that we'd be back for more.  College baseball, the season's first bag of seeds, and college kids enjoying the warmth of the sun.  Yup, it was a good day.

Alas, we had to leave before the 9th inning was over to get ready for our nephew Sam's Blue & Gold Dinner.  The event was the culmination of his first five years in Scouts and his efforts were rewarded with the Arrow of Light Award. (Shout out to Sam -- We are so proud of you! And you should be proud of yourself for all your hard work!)

The dinner also celebrated the Scouts centennial year with a 100 Year Ho Down.  I must sa I was impressed by the event.  In addition to amazing fried chicken and probably the best spread of potluck sides I've ever seen (man o' Manachevetz, these Southerners know their sides), e also enjoyed a blue grass band, and a clogging demonstration to boot! (Shout out to my brother Ed and his leadership team -- way to keep an awards ceremony from being boring!)

Never one to want to arrive at such an affair empty handed, I did contribute to the bounty of sides.  Bleu Cheese Coleslaw.  Need I say more?  

Not one to keep these things to myself, I'm passing the recipe along to you. Aside from a handful of scallions, I can't claim credit - this one is a little ditty that my friend Sheryl and her daughter Madison created.  It is a true crowd pleaser and super easy. I literally threw it together in the 10 minutes I had to spare between the game and the dinner.

Enjoy!

Sheryl & Madison’s Bleu Cheese Coleslaw


Ingredients:
  • 1 bag coleslaw cabbage and carrot mix
  • 6 scallions, chopped fine (my one addition to the recipe - I really can't control myself)
  • 1 cup "premium" chunky bleu cheese dressing (the refrigerated kind you get in the produce department)
  • 1/4 cup bleu cheese crumbles
  • 2 Tbs prepared (not creamed) horseradish

Method:
(I did say this is easy...)
  • Put all the ingredients in a large bowl
  • Stir well to combine
  • Cover and chill; or if your ingredients were all cold, serve right away
  • Sit back and listen for people to say, "Did you taste that coleslaw?"



2 comments:

  1. OK - physical pain shot through me at the thought of you actually watching a Tar Heel baseball game that didn't involve them losing to CSUF. The fact that our No. 4 ranking is now a No. 9 and that we are hoping just to hit .500 with our next win didn't make reading that any easier. More irony: As you basked in the sun, the Boys from Third Base froze in a 54 minute rain delay and endured a loss to George and Oregon that mercifully ended at 11:35 pm.

    Next point: Congrats to young Sam. I, too, was a recipient of the Arrow of Light. Proud Webelow that I was.

    Finally...OK, that does look pretty easy. Not likely on my weight watchers list, but I can certainly share with the troops. We'll put it on the menu.

    Miss you, and, despite my anguish over your new diamond (the field, not a ring), I know you are getting to see pretty good quality ball out there. ECU should roll through and create a nice little firefight to watch since the Heels aren't quite as formidable as the last two seasons.

    GY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Greg - thanks for the great comment. Best case scenario, we meet up in Omaha! Oh, about the slaw and WW - granted this is one of those "sides" that you take a tad bit of. Best to you, Julie and the girls. Torment the umps for us (-;
    - HB

    ReplyDelete